The move to the Eighth Street meetinghouse presented Cincinnati Friends with an opportunity to conduct worship differently than they had at Fifth Street, including less segregation of the sexes. (Previously, men sat on one side of the worship room and women sat on the other.) At the first meeting for
Quaker History
CFM Roots: No Longer So Plain
For centuries, the distinctive Quaker manner of dress served not only as a visible rejection of “the vain and changeable fashions of the world” and an embrace of “decency, simplicity, and utility.” It also acted “like a hedge about us; which, though it does not make the ground it encloses
CFM Roots: A Transforming First-Day School
By the latter half of the nineteenth-century, the First-Day School at Cincinnati Friends Meeting was also referred to as a Sabbath School or Bible School. It convened at 9:30 A.M., before meeting for worship, from September through June. (During the summer months, William H. Taylor occasionally taught an adult Bible
CFM Roots: A Broader, Less Guarded Education
Although there was a building on the grounds of the Eighth Street meetinghouse that Cincinnati Friends thought they might use as a schoolhouse, that option was never exercised. Indeed, as A Circular on Education published by Indiana Yearly Meeting acknowledged, “The period of ‘Monthly Meeting Schools’ for the education of
CFM Roots: Acquiring Land at Spring Grove
Since 1856, Cincinnati Friends had been burying their dead at their cemetery in Cumminsville. However, by 1875, there was growing concern that the city was encroaching on this area, and might prohibit further burials there. The Burial Committee was tasked with evaluating the situation and determining the commercial value of